Labuan Bajo – Komodo Accommodation Guide
Labuan Bajo is the entry point for anyone who wants to visit the Komodo Islands. Nowadays you have a lot of sleeping options in Labuan Bajo – from boats to hotels. Here is our Komodo accommodation guide.
When I came in 2010 it was a tiny village with very limited options for sleeping. Today Labuan Bajo is exploding. A bunch of resorts are being built in and around Labuan Bajo, and you can find hotels anywhere.
Before we get into it, let’s just point it out, Labuan Bajo & the Komodo islands accommodations are not cheap. You won’t get your amazing 130,000RP a night double private room with terrace, fan, and breakfast like you would in Bali. Every hotel is about double the price of hotels in Bali.
In 2010 I stayed in a hotel called Gardena hotel in Labuan Bajo. When I went back in 2018, to my happy surprise the place is still around! This hotel is actually one of the cheapest with THE BEST view I’ve seen. You can get a budget bungalow with private bathroom and fan for 250,000RP (can be negotiated) and, and… an AMAZING view of the bay. Sunset pics guaranteed. Another option, the one I just booked, is a double room in the “newer” building set at the top that has AC. Room rate is 450,000RP but can be negotiated (as everything else in Indonesia – we got it for 400k). The view is sick but… the built quality might not be as good as in your home so don’t expect everything to work perfectly. Yet this will be the best view you get and IMHO it’s worth it.
There are a lot of bunk beds/hostels options but to me, they are way too expensive for a dorm – prices listed were ranging from 100,000RP up to 225,000RP online… skip that please, you’re in Indonesia not Japan… Maybe a 2D1N on boat around the Komodo is a better idea to avoid sleeping there.
That’s where I stayed where you want to be staying if you’re looking for something a bit more comfortable, with a better view and a decent price. Most of the places are apartments or small bungalows. Watch out some place are not worth it – see below.
I almost want to say “under construction” because that’s partly true! There are one or two places that are higher end and ready but to be honest I haven’t been and can’t judge… a lot more is being built right now.
If you want to plan ahead and get other options my suggestion is to simply look at hotel options in Labuan Bajo on Booking.com for the best accommodation; sort by reviews and put the price filter according to your budget.
We booked online for the first night as it helped not to have to walk around on arrival but although our place had good ratings the value for money was really low. It was called Komodo Lodge and the rooms although nice were in a tiny garden with construction happening 3m from it (mind you they say it’s only from 8am till 5pm – they were still going strong pouring concrete at 8pm). I don’t have a problem with that but don’t make me pay 485,000RP for it per night if there is not even a view… Don’t stay there.
To conclude a lot has changed in Labuan Bajo and a lot will in the next 6months – 1year. New places will open and it will be up to you to discover it. Sincerely if you want the view at a good price check the hotel I mentioned – I was so happy to find it still around and with no price increase!
Planning a trip to the Komodo Islands? Read more of our guides below!
HOW CAN YOU HELP TRINA & PIERRE CREATE MORE CONTENT?
Thank you so much for reading our blog! We hope the content has been useful to you. To keep our blog free and going, we use affiliate links on some links(you don’t pay more and we get a small commission: win-win!). If you love the videos or articles have been useful to you consider supporting the work by using the awesome offers from affiliates and tools we created:
- > How we take our photos: Want to learn how to take better vacation photos from scratch? Pierre teaches the fundamentals of how to train your eye and use your equipment for great photos! Take better photos, join Pierre’s online course.
- > How we edit our photos: bring your dull vacation photos to life with our Lightroom presets. Click here to transform your photos now or simply check out Pierre’s pro presets.
- > How we Save Money when we travel: Join Airbnb with this link to save $40 on your first booking. We’ve experienced some of the most memorable vacations stays through Airbnb. Think private island and apartments better than your own home!
- > How we book hotels easily: This is by far our #1 resource for finding hotels on the go (via the booking.com app) and last minute deals. The best part – most hotels offer FREE CANCELATION. Who can beat that? Click here to book your next hotel now.
- > What Camera do we use? Check Pierre’s full gear list to discover what camera he is using!
Thank you! Have an amazing day 🙂