Week #11 – Instagram Shadow Ban – True or False?
Recently Pierre & I had our first “shadow ban” scare. A friend reached out to us to tell us that our posts were banned on Instagram.
He used a well-known 3rd party tool to test our Instagram account and latest posts. We started the account 2 months ago and have been working hard to great great content, engage with followers, and grow organically. I immediately became concerned and started to test all our posts using this tool.
Below is what I learned:
Shadow Ban in One Sentence – If you’re using hashtags in your Instagram posts, your posts will not show up in the hashtag search results for users who DO NOT FOLLOW you.
Using the tool I found that all of the posts which had hashtags in the COMMENTS were banned. Using the tool I found all of our posts which had hashtags in the CAPTIONS were not banned. I then went on to test a better know account @workweeklunch who has 76k followers. All the posts which I tested were banned because hashtags were in the comments. I started to doubt the accuracy of this 3rd party tool so decided to test even further.
I deleted the hashtags from the comments on a banned post and placed them in the captions instead. I re-tested the post using the 3rd party tool and results came back as SAFE. Again suspicious. Were the results of this test highly based on whether hashtags were in comments or captions? Could Instagram’s shadow ban algorithm be as simple as that?
I do NOT follow @workweeklunch on one of my Instagram accounts. I used this account to manually test if posts were shadow banned. You can find out how to do so here. I tested her most recent post and searched for a hashtag she used in the post. Her post showed up in the results even though the 3rd party tool had marked this post as banned!
I’m not confident in the results of this 3rd party tool after conducting my own mini test. The only way to test if your account has been shadow banned is to do so manually. I’m guilty of placing well-researched hashtags in the comments but that’s about it. I do know that we have had no significant drop in the amount of engagement likes, followers, comments lately. Quite the opposite – we have had an increase in the amount of engagement this month.
I’ll let you come up with your own conclusions.
HOW CAN YOU HELP TRINA & PIERRE CREATE MORE CONTENT?
Thank you so much for reading our blog! We hope the content has been useful to you. To keep our blog free and going, we use affiliate links on some links(you don’t pay more and we get a small commission: win-win!). If you love the videos or articles have been useful to you consider supporting the work by using the awesome offers from affiliates and tools we created:
- > How we take our photos: Want to learn how to take better vacation photos from scratch? Pierre teaches the fundamentals of how to train your eye and use your equipment for great photos! Take better photos, join Pierre’s online course.
- > How we edit our photos: bring your dull vacation photos to life with our Lightroom presets. Click here to transform your photos now or simply check out Pierre’s pro presets.
- > How we Save Money when we travel: Join Airbnb with this link to save $40 on your first booking. We’ve experienced some of the most memorable vacations stays through Airbnb. Think private island and apartments better than your own home!
- > How we book hotels easily: This is by far our #1 resource for finding hotels on the go (via the booking.com app) and last minute deals. The best part – most hotels offer FREE CANCELATION. Who can beat that? Click here to book your next hotel now.
- > What Camera do we use? Check Pierre’s full gear list to discover what camera he is using!
Thank you! Have an amazing day 🙂